© Harder III Stumpfl Architekten
© Harder III Stumpfl Architekten

Project

Art Building on the Schlossplatz

Product

OKALUX+

Order Volume

988 m²

Architects

Harder III Stumpfl Architekten

Completion

2009

Application

Roof | Interior

Building Type

Museum

Art Building on the Schlossplatz

Stuttgart, Germany

Showing Art in its Correct Light - Light-diffusing Insulating Glass from OKALUX

Now that the extensive restauratory work on the Art Building located on the Stuttgarter Schlossplatz has been completed, OKALUX insulating glass panes can fulfil their task and provide glare-free daylighting of the rooms as well as optimal protection of the exhibits.

The Art Building on the Schlossplatz in Stuttgart served as a permanent exhibition for the City Gallery as the domicile of the Art Club of Wuerttemberg and the Artist’s League of Stuttgart (Registered Society) 1898 for decades. The building was built by Theodor Fischer from 1910 to 1913 and destroyed to a large extent in World War II with only the domed structure remaining intact. Paul Bonatz and Guenter Wilhelm had basic reconstruction work done on the building from 1956 to 1961 and extended the premises by a connecting building and a so-called square room. After the Gallery of the City of Stuttgart had moved out, the listed historical part of the building was extensively redeveloped under the direction of the Property and Construction Office of Stuttgart and von Harder III Stumpfl Architects between 2005 and 2009.

Museums and exhibition spaces need even, glare-free lighting. Though indispensable for the colour rendering of exhibits, daylight must be filtered in order to protect the artefacts from too much light and UV radiation. The lighting in almost all of the exhibition rooms in the Art Building enters through the skylights in the roof: Glass gabled roofs extend over three outer edges to the domed structure. Five steel glass lanterns on the fourth side bring light into the rooms below. Luminous ceilings, which take up nearly the entire area of the ceiling of each of the exhibition rooms, filter the incoming daylight and diffuse it evenly into the interior. The gradual addition of artificial light in the space between the skylight and the luminous ceiling allows for a compensation of the waning daylight in the night.

 

 

In the course of the extensive improvement work, the architects made sure that security and climate technology, fire protection, as well as light and electric installations were brought to the highest standards. In order to optimize the energetic resources, the entire area of the roof was insulated and sealed, the glass lanterns refurbished, and the glass gabled roofs completely renewed. To this effect, a construction of fully insulated steel profiles with a filling of OKALUX+ insulating glass was erected in cooperation with the Office for the Preservation of Sites of Historic Interest. The translucent capillary slabs and additional, light-diffusing glass fiber tissues in the cavities of the panes ensure an even distribution of the incoming light in the area between the skylight and the luminous ceiling. This prevents direct solar radiation and hard shadows on the luminous ceiling. At the same time, OKALUX+ achieves very good heat insulation with a Ug-value of 0.9 W/m²K and protects the interior of the building from overheating. The glass preserves the required even colour mood on the exterior.

The fact that the original roofs had been industrially manufactured made it possible for Neusser Metallbau, the company assigned with the project, to completely pre-fabricate the new components of the glass roofs consisting of three fields of 780 mm width each and two fields, each  1825 mm high. Delivery was organized according to an exact just-in-time plan so that each of the elements could be replaced successively so that the roof was water-proof again in the evening.

Since its re-opening, pleasant, filtered daylight has been able to enter through the top quality renovated roof of the Art Building showing the artefacts to their full Advantage.

 

 

References